ပင္မစာမ်က္ႏွာ ျမန္ျပည္သတင္း နိဳင္ငံတကာသတင္း ဓာတ္ပံု ဗီဒီယို ေဆာင္းပါး ၀တၱဳ ကဗ်ာ ဟာသ ျမင္ကြင္း ပ်ဳိး

Thursday, December 19, 2013

The governor of Tokyo resigned

TOKYO: The governor of Tokyo resigned on Thursday after he admitted receiving $500,000 from a hospital tycoon ahead of his election in what he claimed was an interest-free, personal loan.

Naoki Inose, who was elected head of one of the world's biggest cities a year ago, said he had handed his letter of resignation to the head of the assembly.

"I have decided to resign from the post of Tokyo governor," Inose told a hurriedly arranged press conference.
"I intended to fulfil my duty of explaining to the city assembly, people of Tokyo and people of the nation, but regrettably I could not clear doubts over me. It's solely because of my lack of virtue."

Inose also said he could not let the scandal impede preparations for the Olympics in 2020.

- AFP/al


No comments:

Post a Comment